St. Edwards University
Moody Hall, Room 102
Austin, TX 78704
Contact Us
Create Account
Study Abroad
Study Abroad Policies
Application Instructions
International Students
Upon Arrival
Health Insurance
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:


Pre-Arrival Check-List:

 Pay deposit to Admissions Office upon acceptance
 Submit Certification of Finances form and supporting bank letter
 Pay SEVIS fee if applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa
 Schedule visa appointment
 Get Bacterial Meningitis vaccine and submit documentation
 Sign up for housing in EdWeb 
 Register for orientation
 Schedule flight to arrive in time for orientation

Applying for a Visa

The process of getting a visa can take a long time. You should not delay starting on the process, but should begin soon after you are admitted to St. Edward's. Read these instructions carefully and do not be afraid to contact the Office of International Education if you have questions. Carefully gathering all the correct documents can help the visa process go more smoothly and at a faster pace.

What is a visa exactly?

A visa is a stamp that is placed in your passport and, along with your passport and I-20 or DS-2019, shows the officials at the United States border that you have the proper authorization to enter the country to study. The visa stamp is like a ticket to get in the door. Once you are in the United States, your visa stamp can expire as long as you are following all the requirements of the visa status. These requirements are explained at orientation and you will have an international advisor who you can talk to when you have questions.

What kind of visa do I need?

St. Edward's University currently provides immigration documents only for F-1 visas, so most international students will apply for this type of visa. If you are coming as an exchange student through ISEP, you will be issued a DS-2019 by ISEP and will apply for a J-1 visa. 

How do I get a visa?

Step 1: Submit the documents necessary to get your I-20 or DS-2019. 

Step 2: Pay the SEVIS fee online and print the receipt. You will receive a handout on how to pay this fee when your I-20 or DS-2019 is mailed to you. You cannot pay the fee until you have your I-20 or DS-2019.

Step 3: Fill out the online visa application DS-160. 

Step 4: Schedule a visa appointment with a U.S. consulate in your home country. A list of consulates is available through the U.S. Department of State website.

Tips for a smooth visa appointment:

  • Arrive on time.
  • Make sure you have all the necessary documents with you. You can check the consulate's website or call in advance of your appiontment to verify what documentation you need to bring.
  • Take your original acceptance letter and the original I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Sign all of your forms, including the I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Check the consulate's website or call to learn what method of payment should be used when paying the visa application fee.
  • Pay the SEVIS fee at least one week before your appointment and bring the printed receipt.
  • Take something to do while you wait, but be aware that some consulates may not allow you to take in your mobile phone or a computer for security reasons. 

Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine

Meningococcal (Bacterial Meningitis) Vaccine Requirement for All SEU Students Entering in January 2012 and Thereafter


Texas law requires that all new university or college students have the bacterial meningitis vaccine. This includes:

  • Freshmen
  • Transfer students
  • Exchange students
  • Non-degree (temporary) students
  • Returning students (after not being enrolled for one semester or more)
  • Graduate and Undergraduate students (under the age of 30)
  • International and domestic students

Documentation showing that you have received the vaccine is required before you can register for orientation or for classes. You can have your doctor fill out this form and then submit it via fax, email or post to the Health and Counseling Center.

More information about the vaccine is available on the Health and Counseling Center webpage.

International students not yet in the U.S.A.

It is best to get the vaccine in your home country before traveling to Austin. If your country only offers one type of meningitis vaccine, you should get that vaccine and then get a "booster" (second dose) upon arrival in Texas. Getting the second vaccine is not harmful to your health. If the vaccine is not available at all in your home country, please contact the Office of International Education for assistance.

International students currently in the U.S.A.

You can get the vaccine at almost any pharmacy, though it is good to call in advance to make sure they have enough available. Walgreens and HEB are easy locations to get the vaccine, but it is still good to call ahead.

St. Edwards University Office of International Education